Installation on Microsoft Windows
This procedure describes installation of WakeupSales 0.10.1-rc2 with MySQL storage on Microsoft Windows VMs and computers. I used stack installers to avoid many problems “new users” have setting up a Rails server. It works with Windows XP SP3, Vista SP2 and Windows 7. I tried to find the most straightforward way for my colleagues to try out WakeUpSales on Windows and if you are trying to do the same, then this is for you.
This procedure is provided without any express or implied warranty and using it is entirely at your own risk. Installing any software on a computer can have unintended consequences. You should back up your important files before trying this or any other installation.
- Fresh installation of Microsoft Windows XP SP3, Vista SP2 or 7 32-bit (physical or VM)
- Single, working network connection with a fixed IP address
- 512Mb RAM (XP VM), 768Mb (XP physical), 1Gb (Vista, 7 VM), 1.5Gb (Vista, 7 physical)
- 2GB of NTFS formatted free disk space
- User Account Control disabled on Vista and 7
- Ability to use the Windows GUI and command prompt
- Any 3rd party firewall configured correctly during installation
Software to download before you begin
- Rails Installer - railsinstaller 1.2.0
- XAMPP - xampp-win32-1.7.4-VC6-installer.exe
- Rubygems - rubygems-1.8.5.zip
- MySQL - mysql-5.5.8-win32.zip
If you do not have a notepad app that can recognize different character sets (Windows Notepad is not really up to the task) then I suggest installing Metapad 3.6 from http://liquidninja.com/metapad/download.html
- Double-click xampp-win32-1.7.4-VC6-installer.exe
- Wait for installer to verify, choose language, and default installation folder
- On XAMPP Options screen, tick Install MySQL as service, then click Install, wait, click Finish
- Wait for installation finished message, click OK, click No to the control panel question
- Restart the VM/Computer
- Double-click XAMPP Control Panel icon on desktop, check that MySql has “running” beside it
- Click Start beside Apache, if Windows Firewall is enabled and gives a warning, click Unblock
- Open your browser and go to http://127.0.0.1, choose language
- Click Security in left column, scroll down page that opens, click xamppsecurity.php link
- Enter a MySQL root password and click Password changing then write it down
- Go back to the XAMPP control panel (on taskbar or icon in the tray area)
- Beside MySql, click Stop, count to 5, then click Start
- Go to http://127.0.0.1/phpmyadmin and login with username root and password from step 10.
- If login is successful, MySQL is running and you can click the green exit icon (top left corner of page)
- Close browser and all windows and restart the VM/Computer
- First you have to download & install ruby 2.0.0
- Go to http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads
- Download Ruby 2.0.0-p648 version
- Install ruby on your system, After installation complete click on start menu & go to "Start command prompt with ruby".
- Go to your application path & check your ruby is installed or not by running ruby -v. It will display the ruby version installed in your system.
- Run below command to install rails 3.2.18
gem install rails --version=3.2.18
- Install devekit for ruby 2.0.0 by following the steps of this site https://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/wiki/Development-Kit
- Comment out the unsupported gems from gem file
- remove gem 'therubyracer', :platforms => :ruby
- remove gem 'less-rails'
- Change gem 'font-awesome-less' to gem 'font-awesome-rails'
- Go to the downloaded folder of the app and navigate to the config folder. Open the database.yml file to set the username and password of your mysql.
Go the downloaded source code from console like below.
- cd /downloads/Wakeupsales
Run the command bundle. It will install the rails version as well as all the gems and there dependency gem files also.
Note: If you face problem like "bundle command not found". Install the bundle gem by gem install bundler
Once bundle is executed successfully, Create the database by using the following command.
- rake db:create
Populate all the tables required for the app.
- rake db:migrate
To create an user in order to login type the command.
- rake db:seed
Your login credential ias as below.
- Email: [email protected]
- Password: demo12345
Now you can start the server by
- rails s
- Browse the wakeupsales website http://YourIpAddress or server ip address or domain name